The typology of the House of Murillo is perfectly adapted to the typology of the Sevillian house in the seventeenth century, ignoring the changes introduced in it, especially in the intervention of 1928.
According to Professor Angulo, this house was the one that Murillo inhabited before his death, but not where he died, a fact that occurred in a building located in the current Plaza de Alfaro.
The oldest news about the house dates back to January 1530, when Ruy Perez sells to Diego Beltrán, by trade merchant, some houses in Seville, in the Santa Cruz neighbourhood.
The house went through different changes of ownership until it is acquired by the family of the Marquesa de Salobral family. In 1927 the Old Ministry of Education and Science expropriated the property that was, apparently, in an unfortunate state of preservation. Later, before 1982, the idea of turning the house into the Murillo House-Museum and opening it to the public on the occasion of the III Centenary of the death of the great Sevillian painter was carried out.
The floor of the building is rectangular and is articulated around a square courtyard. In the façade bay, a body was added in the period after its construction to house the stables. It has a height of two floors plus a gazebo.
The vestibule gives access to the patio, in which we find the staircase of two sections on the right side. This is structured by arcades on its four fronts, with half-point arches on eight marble columns of very simplified Corinthian type, on the ground floor, and reduced and joined by an iron balustrade, recently built, on the top floor. Its decoration, like that of the hallway, is composed of Serlian style tiles from a convent, and were installed there in the last restoration.
In the last interventions the wood paneling of the main living room of the upper floor was executed, a rectangular piece was transformed into a rectangular room located to the right in the upper gallery of the patio, and another one to the left was enabled as the hypothetical workshop of the artist In the attic, the Library, the Office of Management and some toilets were placed.
The façade of the building is not very noticeable, it is executed in a brick factory and covered by a thick plaster of avitolated mortar. The main door is of a flat vain and framed by a simple highlight of the plaster. Above it is a balcony whose railing is decorated with scrolls at the top.
The roofs are made of wood covered with ceramic tile.
Fuente: bdi del Patrimonio Inmueble de Andalucía (Junta de Andalucía)