In an extreme boundary situation that is generated between the historic center and the Guadalquivir river, the railroad tracks were drawn up to the maximum possible penetration that in the year 1858 was Square Station. The area of the Barranco, around the current Arjona street, was filled with industries and after it, the Triana Bridge -1845-52, G. Steinacher and F. Bernadet-, ended up closing all possible continuity to the railway track. A provisional station was maintained for almost half a century until the final one was built in 1901, the project of 1889. The decision to introduce the railroad parallel to the Guadalquivir River supposed an urban tare that has deprived the relationship of the city with its river in Torneo street This situation was maintained until the roads were dismantled in 1992, moving the station to Santa Justa.
The building was initially designed by the engineer Suss, director of the company Ferroviaria M.Z.A. (Madrid-Zaragoza-Alicante), and executed under the orders of engineers Nicolás Suárez Albizu and José Santos Silva, represents the best example in the city of iron architecture and with it, all the advances that occurred during the 19th century in this construction technology. Its organization in plant denotes its condition of terminal station, with a main body that assumed the functions of main vestibule from which, it was acceded to the different platforms without forcing to realize crossings to the travellers. On the sides, two linear bodies of scarce width compared to the proportions reached by the station, were intended for various functions for their service and use.
The interior space defined by the metal structure and the sloping roof, constitute the greatest value of this work. Its design denotes the knowledge that the engineers of the railway company had of the machine room of the Universal Exhibition of Paris in 1867. Thus, the roof followed the solution adopted in the Parisian building: on the outside a corrugated metal sheet was placed and interior, a wood panelling. Between them, an air circulation chamber was left which relieved the ambient heat and reduced the dilatations of the iron structure. The final dimensions bear testimony to what the construction of this building in the city meant: 105 meters long, 30 meters wide and 20 meters high. This large space for shelter of the platforms, supported by thick iron pillars cemented with a revolutionary system for the time, consisting of sturdy piles separated from each other and joined by arches, as if the entire construction rested on vaults.
Its plant organized in three parts has translation to the façade, following other railway models such as the Atocha Station in Madrid. Outside, the station was contaminated with a historicist architecture that approximates the general schemes of neomudéjar. The main facade is structured with a porticoed space in the center between two lateral pavilions. The portico made of colored brick and open in horseshoe arches gives way to the lobby before the platforms. Horseshoe arches, cuts in brick blocks imitating sebka cloths, alfices and other Islamic elements also configure the lateral pavilions or turrets. Above the portico and between these pavilions the large iron roof is turned, tracing an extensive arch somewhat pointed and covered to the outside by windows that were not in the original project.
To the right of the inner rectangle of platforms, and approximately halfway, there is a rectangular, perpendicular building that was projected as offices and administration centers and whose style matches perfectly with that of the façade, following neomudejar imprints.
In general, the facades present a very well executed process, anticipating some future works of the city that will be carried out in the following decades. In 1982 it was the object of a reform by the architect Antonio Barrionuevo and the engineers Damián Álvarez and J. Cañada that affected the vestibular space whose work was worthy of the Mention City of Seville Award (rehabilitation 1982). On the occasion of the Universal Exposition of 1992, the station changed activity. Its interior space was transformed for Seville's pavilion and later for commercial and leisure use, by means of modules that do not obstruct in excess the perception of the original space of the building. Undoubtedly the greatest contribution that this operation entailed is outside, as the dismantling of the roads allowed the city to recover its relationship with the Guadalquivir by transforming the section of the Torneo street and eliminating the wall that had been the facade for decades in this part of the city.
The great arch through which the trains entered was glazed trying not to lose the scale of a plane always open and very significant in the seasons; after him, a square that precedes a hotel of the NH chain. The arrangement of this space as well as the construction of the hotel corresponded to the architects Antonio González Cordón and Víctor Pérez Escolano. It was a major project, modified by the municipality to prevent the circular tower from being built in the square.
Fuente: bdi del Patrimonio Inmueble de Andalucía (Junta de Andalucía)