Night watchmen say, and even some of the merchants of the market of Triana, which sits on the old castle of St. George, who have sometimes seen pass the vaporous image of what appears to be a girl dressed in white. Sometimes it is observed through the security screens and sometimes with the naked eye. Also from time to time, motion detectors installed permanently indicate the presence of "something" in certain rooms, while nothing appears on the screens. Noisy chains and knocks on the market wall next to the entrance to the castle's exhibition space are also frequent, to the point that there are guards who have abandoned their work or who only stand guard outside the premises. Some early-morning merchants, who arrive at the site when it is still dark, have also met with the mysterious figure. No one knows who it may be (if there really is something), but the truth is that very few people dare to enter the market during the night.
The origin of the Castle of San Jorge is unknown, although the Visigoths were supposed to be its first settlers, being erected to defend the sparse population from the attacks of Leovigildo.
In 1171, Abu Yacoub Yusuf, king of Seville, ordered the bridge built by mooring the thick chains to the walls of the castle. For almost seven centuries it was the only communication from Seville with Triana, the Aljarafe and the Mountains of the North.
The first written news about the castle dates from 1178, when the Infant Don Sancho, made a rush against the Moors of Seville, attacking the Castle of Triana. Formalized the siege to Seville by King San Fernando in 1.247 attacks followed the castle still occupied by the Moors, becoming Christian power in 1.248.
In the fifteenth century, the years and the civil status of the monarchy made obsolete the fortresses such as the Castillo de Triana, whose care was abandoned, being inhabited by different families, who maintained the cult of the church of San Jorge. In 1481 it was occupied by the Court of the Holy Inquisition.
The Inquisition, contrary to what many think, has no Spanish origin. It was created through the papal bull Ad Abolendam, issued at the end of the 12th century by Pope Lucius III as an instrument to combat the Cathar heresy in the south of France (with great prominence our Saint Domingo de Guzmán). Courts of the Pontifical Inquisition existed in several European Christian kingdoms during the Middle Ages, being the most active those of northern Italy and southern France.
The Spanish Inquisition or Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition was an institution founded in 1478 by the Catholic Monarchs, first in Aragon and then in Castile, to maintain Catholic orthodoxy in their kingdoms, or at least that was the excuse. Many saw in the Inquisition a way to seize the Jews their property or also a way to control the nobles, who in certain border areas were at ease. In Seville it was the case of the Guzmanes and the Ponce de León, which for decades were actively fought. In any case, it served to maintain the political and religious unity of the country, as well as to finance itself in the war against the infidel.
Authors such as Juan Gil, maintain the Inquisition ends up becoming "a weapon of xenophobia". "When there are hardly any Jewish and Lutheran converts, it is directed against the Portuguese Arabs who lived in Seville and against anybody else." Without going any further, Santa Teresa de Jesus, San Juan de Ávila or Fray Luis de León were judged at the time by the Inquisition and, although they managed to evade the fire, they could not prevent their writings from being severely censured by the inquisitors . Alternating different stages of high activity with others of accused ostracism, the Court of the Holy Office was not definitively abolished until 1834, during the reign of Isabel II.
Seville occupies a prominent place in the history of the Spanish Inquisition. Here it was created in 1480 (two years after the foundation of the institution) the first Court of the Inquisition, which developed such effectiveness in its first fifty years that they had to slow down because there were no jails or money to keep the prisoners . Thousands of trials took place every year and thousands of convicts burned at the stake. The executions were carried out in the San Diego burner, in the lands of the current Tablada, which was used for the last time in 1781.
But not only Jews were burned; there is evidence of the burning of clerics and friars, giving the case of burning posthumously, those condemned dead before the trial (sometimes many years before), unearthing their bones from the cemeteries of the city, then in the Trinidad, San Agustín and San Bernardo, to be burned and, of course, dispossessed of their properties. The Inquisition not only punished the offenders, but also their descendants, who could take centuries to erase that "stain" of family history.
The first prisoners of the Sevillian Inquisition were "housed" in what was the convent of San Pablo el Real of the Dominicans, current church of the Magdalena, which still retains in its walls the fresco painted by Lucas Valdés "The torture of Diego Duro "; in it an auto of faith is represented and a heretic led to the burner that is traditionally identified with Diego López Duro, merchant of Osuna.
Fruit of the efficiency of the Court, these initial facilities soon are scarce, reason why being General Inquisitor of Spain gift Fernando Valdés, cardinal archbishop of Seville, sends its transfer to the Castle of San Jorge, in the suburb of Triana, that had been built on the remains of an old Arab fortress, and that had 26 prisons equipped with all the "comforts" typical of the institution, including the Church of San Jorge, primitive parish of Triana.
The Inquisition made its autos of faith, first the steps of the Cathedral, and later the Plaza de San Francisco, although, when more "intimacy" was needed, the churches of Santa Ana and San Marcos were used, as well as the convent of San Pablo .
More than 120 years after the start of the Inquisition in Seville, General Inquisitor Fernando Niño de Guevara was a character characterized by his intransigence: during his tenure, he ordered more than two thousand people to be executed, having to resign by order of the King in 1602, due to the multiple complaints. A year before, he had been named Cardinal of Seville, where he held the post until his death. A key date in his Seville history was the Synod of 1604, in which the Cardinal, in a show of arrogance, forced the Brotherhoods of Seville to pass through the Archbishop's Palace, which is considered the origin of what today day is the Official Race to the Holy Cathedral Church during Holy Week.
The Court occupied the Castle of San Jorge up to 1626, in which very deteriorated by the heavy shells had to abandon it. In 1627 it was granted to the Count Duque de Olivares to take care of its repair and avoid the fraud of merchandise that was carried out at its door. Towards 1639, once the ruins were repaired, the Inquisition returned to occupy it until its definitive transfer in 1785, due to the unsustainable nature of its condition given its age and affectation in the face of continuous flooding.
After the departure of the Court, the castle was bequeathed to the city with perpetual tribute by the Royal Treasury, for its demolition, in order to communicate the Altozano with Castilla Street, leaving a plot of land on which houses were built and the Food Market of Triana.
Buried under the Market it remained, until the works of rehabilitation of this one allowed to discover the rest that were underground: the house of the doorman, the stables, the houses of the nuncio and the notary, the kitchen, the warehouse, the house of the First Inquisitor or the Family.
After the works of the Market, the recovery of the Castle and its exhibition as a museum began. Eight years and 2.5 million euros later, in December of 2009, this space was inaugurated, forgotten by (almost) everyone.
Endowed with the most modern museum techniques, the building consists of several rooms and exhibition spaces that propose a historical route through which it was the seat of the Court of the Holy Inquisition between the 15th and 18th centuries. Specifically, the Castle, with 1,400 square meters of exhibition divided into two floors, has six different parts where you can find, among others, a sensory room, an interpretive walkway, a gallery of characters or a wall of reflection.
The Castle of San Jorge little guide needs. Already the staff at the front desk is charming, explaining in a general way what we will find and what it meant in their time, in addition to providing guidance documentation. The route does not admit loss, as there are no bifurcations or detours, so we only have to dedicate ourselves to admire the exhibition. Exhibition by which the team in charge of musealization should be congratulated, since a relatively small amount of remains have managed to place them and complement them through explanatory panels and projections in such a way that the visit can be said to be perfect. The audioguides, in addition, (in addition to access), are completely free, which is a bit more in favour.
Fuente: blog Leyendas de Sevilla de José Becerra.