In 1893 the Infant María Luisa Fernanda de Borbón, duchess widow of Montpensier, gave the city approximately half of the gardens belonging to her San Telmo Palace, lands that would later be occupied by the María Luisa Park.
In 1911 J.C.N. Forestier is commissioned by the Executive Committee of the Hispano-American Exposition to make the layout of a park that serves to frame the Exposition of 1914. The work of reform began in 1913 and the public was inaugurated on April 18, 1914 .
The construction of the Plaza de America, included in the park, will take place between 1911-19, building the three pavilions that comprise it: the Ancient Art (Mudéjar Pavilion), the Royal Pavilion and the Fine Arts (current Museum of Archaeology ), all of them works by Aníbal González.
Later, in 1929, several roundabouts were built and in 1956 the arboreal spaces that had to be continued and those that would be eliminated were selected, as well as important renovations, especially in the roundabouts.
The final result will be a space in accordance with the new French currents on urban parks and with the Andalusian tradition, that is, a totally eclectic park with a unique character.
The present park, extensive and leafy, can be considered as one of the most beautiful in Spain, both for the variety of its vegetation, as for the beauty of its walks, avenues, ponds, squares and roundabouts. As a whole, the park has a parallelepiped shape and is defined externally by four roundabouts; San Diego, Covadonga, Mexico and the Volunteer Mariners, all joined by extensive walks.
The park is formed by large avenues that allow a comfortable walk and "thematic" gazebos, among these include Bécquer, which has a sculptural group that expresses love in its three states, next to the bust of the famous writer. That gives name to the whole. Other important roundabouts are scattered throughout the park, such as the one dedicated to Infant María Luisa to perpetuate the gratitude of Seville to which she was a generous donor of the park. Another important roundabout is the one dedicated to the Álvarez Quintero brothers, made by Aníbal González in 1928. Also of González is the monument that rises in the roundabout dedicated to Benito Mas and Prat, being the sculpture of Castillo Lastrucci.
As elements to emphasize in the park they are: the pond of the lotos, the pond of the ducks, the garden of the lions, the pond of the frogs and the Gurugú mount, all of them within the vertebrate axis.
Regarding the plant element, we must highlight the variety of species present; ficus, araucarias, cousopods and a long etcetera as well as the high support of them that provide large areas of shade.
Fuente: bdi del Patrimonio Inmueble de Andalucía (Junta de Andalucía).